Many people says this Yohanan (John) Chapter 1 means Yeshua (Jesus) is God. That is 100% false.
To understand this verse in depth we can go in detail through the first chapter of Yohanan. Yohanan probably wrote his gospel especially for Jewish Christians. We must also understand that the Greek word “logos” means “the word” (from Elohim). The word of Elohim was His Law, the Scripture (Torah) He had given to Israel. :
ANALISYS OF YOHANAN (JOHN) 1:1-18
(with brakets for easy understanding)
(1) ” In the beginning was the Word (the Spoken Word of Elohim) , and the Word was with Elohim (It came from Him), and the Word (Torah, the Spoken Word of the Creator) was Elohim. (no Yeshua, the Messiah)
(2) He (the Word) was in the beginning with Elohim. (Affirming what was just said)
(3) All came to be through Him (YHWH, no Yeshua), and without Him (YHWH) not even one came to be that came to be.
(4) In Him (YHWH) was life, and the life was the light (the way of life base on Torah)of men.
(5) And the light (of Elohim) shines in the darkness (what is against the will of the Creator), and the darkness has not overcome it.
(6) There was a man sent from Elohim, whose name was Yohanan.
(7) This one came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light (the Word of Elohim) , that all might believe through him.
(8)He was not that Light (the Word of Elohim), but that he might bear witness of that Light (the Word of Elohim that judged them).
(9) He (YHWH) was the true Light (the Word of Elohim), which enlightens (shows the way through life to) every man, coming into the world.
(10) He (YHWH) was in the world, and the world came to be through Him (YHWH the Creator), and the world did not know Him (The Creator of the Universe which came and brough His Word).
(11) He (YHWH) came to His Own (the chosen Jewish people), and His Own did not receive Him (YHWH).
(12) But as many (Jewish People) as received Him (YHWH and His Word), to them He gave the authority to become children of Elohim (see Joel 2:32),
(13) to those believing in His Name (YHWH) , who were born, not of blood nor of the desire of flesh nor of the desire of man, but of Elohim (chosen before the fundation of the earth, the prophets and the just amoung Israel).
(14) And the Word became flesh (Yeshua the Messiah) and pitched His tent among us (in this world) , and we saw His esteem (of The Father through the son Yeshua) , complete in favour (grace) and truth (the truth of Torah).
(15) Yohanan bore witness of Him and cried out, saying, “This was He of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me has become before me (the Messiah of Israel) , because He was before me. (before the Foundation of the Earth, not of the Universe)‘
(16) ”And out of His (Yeshua) completeness we all did receive, and favour upon favour (from Elohim) , for the Torah was given through Mosheh – the favour and the truth came through Yeshua the Messiah. No one has ever seen Elohim. The only brought-forth Son (Yeshua), who is in the bosom of the Father, He did declare”.
According to what we have read we can conclude that Yeshua is not the Creator, but He is “the Divine word” or the Torah. Torah, the Word of Elohim, shows the way through life to every man, coming into the world.
Blessings to all.
Messianic Rabbi Yosef Ben Marques © 2017